To foster unity among the Christian churches and build harmonious relations between peoples of different faith traditions.
Commission for Ecumenism and Inter-religious dialogue
The purpose of the commission is to:
- Assist the Archbishop in ensuring that Ecumenism and Inter-religious dialogue is an organic part of the life of the archdiocese
- Generate resources for ecumenical and inter-religious dialogue
- Cooperate with other Christians in prayer and good works
- Initiate, encourage and develop practical ways of building bridges of understanding and co-operation between people of all religions so that we might be enriched and work together for the good of society.
- Motivate Catholics to take up the challenge to work actively towards full visible unity
- Represent the Archdiocese in Ecumenical and Inter-religious Affairs
- Foster a deep appreciation of the unique bond between Jews and Christians
- Work where appropriate with other Commissions in Australia nationally and internationally.